Monday, November 16, 2009

Newcomers, Smarties & Crayons, and Afro-Centric Schools

I felt so happy that I had no idea what was going on when I walked into class. The last couple of weeks, every class I have had there has been something to hand-in or a presentation to do. The only thing I had to worry about was getting my blog done.

Once again there were group presentations. The first presentation was on New Immigrants coming to Canada. They went through many definitions about immigrants throughout the presentation. There were two things that I found really interesting about this presentation. The first is that more immigrants come to Canada than anywhere else in the world. That is really important as CYW's to take this piece of information into our work. We cannot just direct our practice with our clients as if they were all born and raised in Canada with the same cultures. The second thing that I really enjoyed about the presentation was Jen's story about her boyfriend working with a new immigrant. It was cool to hear about the relationship that they have built. The presentation was well put together. The videos also really added to the presentation.


The second group presented on Bi-Racial Heritage. I was excited to see what was going to be in this presentation because I have Bi-Racial Heritage Their first activity was GREAT! I will definitely hold onto the smartie activity for working with children or youth that are struggling with racial identity. Their presentation was well put together, I especially like that they talked about famous role models that are a part of this heritage. Kids look up to those people in media, it is good to know that there are some positive ones that children will be able to relate to and look up to.


The last group presented on African Canadians. They had many statistics that allowed us to understand better where Afro-Canadians fit into our culture and country. The video that they showed was about a specific Afro-Centric school in Toronto. When I first heard about this school I wasn't totally sure if I agreed with it. The video that they showed explained more than then the information that i gained from the news. I also think this was a great presentation.

Something that I think our class needs to work on (including myself) is not reading off their notes when presenting. I did get some good information from the presentations, but at points it was hard to pay attention.

Next, all Ineed to worry about is getting the tool-kit for this class started and finished! AHHHHHH!!!


thats all of Leah's words for today

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment