Saturday, November 7, 2009

Projects all about Culture

There was a lot of work that I had to do before this class came. It was a huge load off my back after the class was over.
I was in one of the first groups to present their culture project. All of the projects are going to reflect a specific group of people that are found around the world. The topics range from ethnicity to countries to religious groups. My group's topic was South East Asia. We found information about the culture and people of the region and presented it in a way that would be helpful to CYW's in our class. I usually like presentations and I find them quite easy to do. This presentation however was very hard.
Being in third year generally you would expect that most of the students are responsible and would help....."take care of business". It was not really like that. I struggled a lot in being confident with this project in regards to the content, group dynamics and the presentation. There was bound to be a project like this that tested my ability in working with people. But...it is over and I do not have to stress about it anymore.

A group presented on the Hispanic culture. This was a great presentation. I really like their handout that they gave to the class. I will be putting that away in my resources that I will be using in the field.

The last presentation was all about the Muslim culture. The group started off with a video clip from a TV show. I wish that they would have spent that time giving us more information about the culture. I don't know if it is just because I have seen that clip before but I do not think that clips longer that three minutes help presentations. People get to much into the storyline adn forget about what they should be looking for in the video. Other than that I think the presentation was great. It had a lot of information in it that I was not aware of which will be very helpful in the field.

I look forward to more presentations about different cultures. I think that as a CYW it is so important to be somewhat knowledgeable about different cultures in order to help your clients. This is class time well spent.

thats all Leah's Words for this week.
Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment